Hello and welcome back to another episode of the Cookbook Love Podcast. Today I want to talk about the anatomy of a cookbook project. I think if you’ve tuned in to the past several episodes of the podcast, Behind The Scenes of a Cookbook…., you can see that there are many people involved in the production or “publishing” of a cookbook. And whether the cookbook is self- or traditionally- published, the book needs to be edited, designed, photographed, or illustrated, printed, promoted, marketed, distributed, and sold. But, even before those wheels are set in motion, the writer of the book has decisions to make. That’s what I want to talk about today. What are the steps to get to the point where you have a cookbook manuscript to edit and a publishing plan in place?
First, a cookbook is the most profitable and portable way to share your recipes, stories, and solution. If you find yourself repeating yourself record yourself to replace yourself. A cookbook extends you and your message for your readers to their kitchens. And you don’t have to be there. And they don’t even have to know you for your book to help them. So what are the steps that someone who is thinking about writing a cookbook and getting it published need to do:
- Identify Goals for Publication: Why are you wanting to write your cookbook and who is your book for.
- Define Your Cookbook Concept: What is your cookbook about? What is your unique solution?
- Pick Your Path to Publication: How do you want to get your cookbook published?
- Build Your Author Platform: Where can your readers find you now? How can they get to know you better?
- Write a Cookbook Proposal or
- Write a Cookbook Manuscript
- Query Agents or Publishers if you want to get traditionally published
- Sign a Contract and write your manuscript
- Stay committed. This is a long-game project with a finite end.
- Share Your Book with your readers.
If you are ready to define your concept, build your platform, and write a cookbook proposal or a cookbook manuscript, I invite you to apply for the September 2020 Hungry For a Cookbook Mastermind Group.
Listen to Episode 97 below:
Things We Mention In This Episode:
- Download a copy of the Cookbook Publishing Roadmap
- Apply for next session of Hungry For a Cookbook Mastermind Group
- Please join our Confident Cookbook Writer Facebook Group
Let’s connect on Instagram @greenapron
Here’s How To Subscribe
I’d love for you to get notified when I release new episodes so you don’t miss any new episodes Click here to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes.
How to Leave a Review:
And, I’d love for you to leave a rating and review. I want to know what you think of the podcast and how I can make this podcast one you love to listen to and share with your friends. Plus, iTunes tells me that podcast reviews are really important and the more reviews the podcast has the easier it will be to get the podcast in front of more people, which is the ultimate goal. You can leave a review for the podcast here.
Let’s Keep The Conversation Going…
Do you have an idea for a cookbook concept?
Would you like to know more about writing cookbooks?
Do you collect cookbooks and want to be interviewed on the show?