• Oven-Baked Chex Mix Recipe

I find it necessary to post this recipe. It was and is the reason for several thousand visits to my blog. When I make Oven-Baked Chex Mix I know it’s the holiday season. I often switch out the bagel chips, this time for my beloved Cheeze-its. Let the Christmas season begin.

Makes about 12 cups

What’s your favorite tidbit to pick out of the Chex Mix?

It’s a good thing I clipped this recipe from the cereal box a few years ago. I noticed this year (and maybe this was true in recent years too) the recipe for Chex Mix included only a set of microwave directions. I’m a little funny about using the microwave to “bake” something. I’ve never tried making this in the microwave, but knowing what I know about roasting or baking I predict Chex Mix baked in an oven tastes better than Chex Mix stirred in the microwave. It does take a little longer, but that’s a wash in my opinion, because either way you have to cool the mix before eating. If you want microwave instructions just look on the back of a Chex cereal box. By the way, this recipe works perfectly fine with a store-brand Chex-type cereal if you so desire.

6 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
    3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    3 cups Corn Chex cereal
    3 cups Rice Chex cereal
    3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
    1 cup mixed nuts
    1 cup bite-size pretzels
    1 cup bagel chips

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. In an ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in the oven. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir in chex cereals, mixed nuts, pretzels, and bagel chips until coated. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels until cooled. Store in an airtight container.

1. Stella says Dec 14th 2010 2:46 pm

I’ve never made ChexMix before. Growing up, a good friend of mine always made it around the holidays and I loved her version so much, I never bothered to make it myself. I just wait to see her every year for a taste.

For some strange reason, I love the little wheat chex bits if taken along with a cheese nib (she uses these long skinny cheese crackers?). Also a big fan of Melba Toast bits.

I’m terrible at anything that is made from predominately not-sugar, so I’ll let you and my friend stick to the ChexMix and I’ll benefit from your labors. :)

2. MaeMae says Dec 20th 2010 11:05 pm

Thank you – microwave check mix does not compare. You need the oven to toast the chex (not just heat them up). And the worchester sticks it together in some places which are the pieces we all fight over. This is the only way I have ever eaten it – my mama calls it Christmas trash and we look for it every year as soon as we come in. We cannot find bagel chips so we used regular cheerios. One year honey nut cheerios were mistakenly used and it was not good. And we are all nuts, so we use pecans and peanuts only which have been half way cooked before we do the oven thing. That is the only time we use the microwave. We end up with about 10 nice sized tins and beg to take our own home every year. She also makes the best peanut brittle ever.

3. Maureen says Dec 24th 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks Maggie for the baked version which I grew up on before microwaves! :-)

4. Kate says Feb 12th 2011 11:37 am

Thanks for the recipe! My tiny microwave could never fit a bowl big enough to make chex mix in. Plus I’m sure baked is better! If you are going to go to the trouble to make it from scratch you might as well put it in the oven. If you want it fast, just go buy a bag!

5. Dianna says Nov 20th 2011 1:12 am

I couldn’t agree with you more Maggie! The oven method is the only method for this wonderful treat as far as my family is concerned…that is how my mom always made it. The aroma in the house during that hour just builds up the anticipation!

6. Marty says Dec 2nd 2011 6:03 pm

So pleased to find your blog…and, like so many others, I found it looking for a non-nuked Chex Mix recipe. I think I’m going to enjoy cruising around your blog site.

7. Darci says Dec 3rd 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks for posting this ;) My son loves chex mix and I can’t imagine making it in the microwave! It smells so toasty and delicious in the oven…..

8. gracie says Dec 5th 2011 10:31 pm

this was my first time making chex mix and it turned out excellent! :) thanks for sharing!

9. Lindsey says Dec 6th 2011 8:21 am

Thank you for publishing the “original” recipe, while re-reading the recipe I downloaded from the Chex site, I realized it was the microwave version, what sacrilege – baked is the way to go. Happy Holidays!

10. Kristi says Dec 7th 2011 3:53 pm

Thank you sooo much for posting this “original” recipe! I made the microwave version many years ago and remember the chex cereal being rubbery and not really tasting well. I finally have another opportunity to make it and want to try baking it in the oven, so this helps a bunch! :)

11. Bobbie says Dec 9th 2011 4:34 pm

I too think nothing compares with the oven-version of this recipe. I would like to add however, that I typically will double the Worchestershire called for. (Then there is more of those pieces everyone fights for.)

12. Mary says Dec 10th 2011 2:28 am

I also looked for a ‘baked’ version for chex mix and up came your blog. My microwave burned part of the last I made in about 2 min. on high like the recipe says – guess it really ‘nuked’ it. Thanks again.

13. tony rowland says Dec 16th 2011 2:44 pm

thank you. grew up on the oven version. even made it up before going to the fulda gap whil in the army in W. Germany(and no that not a typo)

14. Deb says Dec 17th 2011 11:16 am

Thank you so much! I was amazed that when I brought home my chex cereal boxes this year there wasn’t any recipes at all. In the past, I have found it on the inside of the box. Even on the General Mills website they have “Original” Chex mix listed and give microwave directions. I know my mother was making this long before microwaves came to our house! I have made it in the microwave but do not like the soggy, somewhat chewy, burnt in places microwave version.

15. chelsi says Dec 20th 2011 2:09 pm

do you cover the chex mix when baking in the oven or do you leave the roaster uncovered?

• Maggie says Dec 20th 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Chelsi: You leave the roaster uncovered when you bake the Chex Mix. Good luck.

16. lyssa m says Dec 21st 2011 7:05 pm

This recipe taste alot richer when it is made this way. Growing up we didn’t have bagel chips so we used cherrio’s.

17. Deanna says Dec 22nd 2011 12:55 pm

Thank you!! I was having a hard time finding the oven way to make this. Easy is nice but the microwave is for heating leftovers not a traditional snack that we grow up with!

18. Tony says Dec 24th 2011 5:39 pm

It’s funny that everyone has mentioned the microwave version. I picked up a giant box of Chex at Costco (it has separate bags of rice, corn, and wheat in the same box), and the recipe on the box is the oven version. I came across this looking for variations. Your suggestion about Cheez-its is just awesome. I love Chex mix, I love Cheez-its, and for some reason your suggestion just made me giggle! Great modification!

• Maggie says Dec 26th 2011 11:32 pm

Thanks for the scouting report. With any luck, the boxes now have the oven-baked version again.

19. Betty Jane says Jan 4th 2012 8:24 pm

Just looked at my boxes of Wheat & Corn Chex’s, since I’m making a batch for hubby to snack on and they have the Oven Directions along with the Microwave Directions. Didn’t notice this until after I googles Chex Mix oven version. I’ll have to try it with Cheez-its next time I make it. Sounds like something that hubby would like.

20. Catherine says Jan 10th 2012 12:11 pm

I have been wanting to make a homemade chex mix for a long time! I cant wait to try this for my sons Birthday part!

21. Betty Rudloff says Jan 10th 2012 11:56 pm

I agree that the oven is much better. I haven’t made this in quite sometime and was a little surprised that most recipes use the microwave. Also we are a cheesy family so I sprinkle a pack of the dry cheddar cheese from a box of mac n cheese.

22. Debbie says Jan 13th 2012 4:13 pm

THANKS! YOU are right!! ALL recipes say use microwave, I believe the best way is in the oven. It tastes wonderful this way!

23. Cindy Lou says Jan 17th 2012 6:09 pm

I like the Oven version too! Microwave just doesn’t taste the same! I also add some “Original Bugles” to mine. I like the idea of the “Cheeze-its”. I may try that next time.

24. Ashley Irene says Feb 11th 2012 9:34 am

I pinned a microwave version on pinterest and didn’t realize it was microwave until I looked up the instructions to make it today.. So onto google I went! Thank you SO much for posting this, and for being FIRST on google with the recipe! :) I’ve since pinned this recipe as “REAL chex-mix!” :)

25. Cris says Feb 11th 2012 5:25 pm

THANK YOU! Some friends and I are getting together to share foods our grandmoms made. Who knew the baked recipe would dry up and fly away? Feeding them nuked chex mix would have been just plain wrong. Thank you for saving some of my childhood memories.

26. kvar says Mar 16th 2012 2:33 pm

Our recipe growing up didn’t have bagel chips ( no such thing). I think we my have put cheerios, does anyone remember what we actually used? Also, the pretzels were skinny stix not bite size which weren’t around then either. I must be really old.

• Maggie says Mar 21st 2012 5:41 am

Cheerios – I think my mom did that a few times too. Thanks for the memory.

27. Devin says Apr 18th 2012 3:51 pm

I believe prior to “bagel chips” people were using Melba toast pieces in lieu of those.

28. COOLSWEETBEAST! says Jun 5th 2012 2:40 pm

THIS RECIPE IS SO AWSOME. I MAKE IT EVERY WEEKEND AND WATCH TLC. DONT TELL MY MOM BUT SOMETIMES I GIVE A LITTLE BIT OF IT TO MY KITTY! HAHA!

29. Judy says Jul 3rd 2012 7:48 am

Add 1/2 tsp of Celery Salt. Is excellent.

30. katherine says Sep 2nd 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for publishing this original chex mix recipe, the premade bagged stuff doesn’t hold a candle, and I can’t imagine using the microwave! Yuck!

• Maggie says Sep 4th 2012 9:49 am

I agree. Homemade is the best for this mix~

31. Slouch says Oct 24th 2012 8:15 pm

excited to try, my mom made the best and I think this was the recipe in her head .. sure miss this special holiday treat. Thanks

32. Dale says Nov 17th 2012 2:51 am

I burned my mouth eating it before it cooled. Duuuuh. It are good. (grin)

33. susan boyles says Nov 18th 2012 9:56 am

Thanks so much for posting this. My cousins didn’t have the recipe, but their dad, my uncle Hector, made this every year and it taste like the holiday’s to me. A microwave just isn’t the way to make this!!

34. JoAnne Barcomb says Dec 3rd 2012 1:15 pm

I am 72 yeas old and this sounds like the recipe that my Grandmother used to make for me when I was a child and even when I was a teen. Thank you for printing this recipe.

35. Pam says Dec 12th 2012 1:58 pm

Thank you could not remember oven temp. oven is much better!

36. jackie says Dec 25th 2012 10:58 pm

We use the recipe posted. But we use Cheese-its instead of bagle chips. We add a lot of extra peanuts and make almost a double batch of sauce.
      A true Christmas tradition.

Thank you for posting the original recipe!

Much love

37. susanne says Dec 30th 2012 1:35 pm

Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful recipe. The microwave version just isn’t the same and those little seasoning packets that they sell in the store don’t give the right flavor. Cheers to you!

38. Bonnie says Jan 13th 2013 1:36 am

Have you ever had the wheat chex come out soggy? If so can I re-bake? I always make a 4 x batch, but the wheat chex are a bit too soggy. I use wheat chex, corn chex, rice chex, crispex, bugles, pretzels and nuts. Family loves it, but I’m not caring for the soggy wheat chex, and afraid it won’t store well.

• Maggie says Jan 21st 2013 8:33 am

Sometimes the wheat chex are soggy if I make a large batch and the pan I bake the mix in is too deep. I’ve learned that if I make a large batch to mix it and then bake in two pans instead of one pan.

39. cathy says Mar 24th 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks this is the only way I made it but lost the recipe . Have never made in the microwave

40. Bonnie says Sep 21st 2013 11:01 pm

I am going to try a new recipe that I found on a box of vanilla chex mix-Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix. The recipes said to microwave but I didn’t think the chex would be crispy. So I got on here to look up the old recipe. Soooo glad you had this posted!,

41. Nadine says Oct 18th 2013 10:26 am

Thanks so much for the info on making this recipe without using a microwave. We don’t have one and wasn’t sure how to bake it in an oven.

• Maggie says Oct 22nd 2013 10:45 am

You’re welcome, Nadine. I’m happy so many people have found this recipe useful.

42. Sandie says May 19th 2014 3:59 pm

I too only use the original recipe via oven. My grown kids prefer cheezits in place of the bagel chips.I make mine a little spicier per request from family. Every Christmas I make at least five batches, they all get their own with the nuts they prefer. I am making a batch tomorrow for my dear daughter to take on her honeymoon. It will go in the picnic basket I am making with all kinds of goodies. The Chex mix will be a surprise.

43. Nicole says May 24th 2014 2:44 pm

I just want to thank you for posting this. I searched everywhere to find a non-microwave recipe. I bookmarked this page for the future. Thanks again!

44. Christine says Jun 9th 2014 2:19 pm

This is great! I was looking for the original chex recipe made in the oven.(Not the microwave version – I don’t understand how the people at Chex can call that the “original”, b/c it isn’t). I’ll be adding this to the card file for future reference. :) Thank you!!!

45. Carol says Aug 14th 2014 7:15 pm

I have used the micro to bake, I have even done cakes in them but Chex Mix…no way can it be as good as the oven so mine is currently in the oven and thanks for providing the recipe. No room in the microw for this anyway.

46. Kathy says Sep 6th 2014 1:57 pm

THANK YOU for posting the oven method recipe. I’m surprised it would not be on the Chex website but only the microwave method was listed.

47. Laura Chipman says Oct 14th 2014 11:13 am